DOCprint was developed to interface with Global software when a client running
GSM for Windows/NT required a change in the method of printing Sales and
Purchase orders and invoices from their bespoke order processing packages.
The original Global Software was
printing multi-part document sets on pre-printed stationery using Newbury
dot-matrix tractor-feed serial printers.
There were a number of disadvantages with this
set up which included:-
- Expensive and time consuming
maintenance on the printers which were themselves becoming obsolete.
- Expensive pre-printed stationery sets with minor
changes unviable in short term time-span.
- Poor quality paper in 5 part sets.
- Poor quality printing with dot-matrix
printer head and ribbon ink.
- Problems with printer sharing,
time-consuming paper changes and 'in use' errors.
The requirement specification was to
make use of one of the many value laser printer options available connected to
the computer network via an ethernet cable, printing on plain copier paper with
no extra operator interaction or printer selection.
The advantages of this set up would
- Cheap printers with easy
self-maintenance and part renewal and good availability of replacements.
- Cheap, easily available plain
- Choice of paper quality.
- Top quality laser printing.
- No printer sharing problems or
paper changing requirements.
Having looked at a number of 'off the
shelf' reporting and form printing software packages, none seemed to match the
exact requirements that we were looking for with regard to the Global interface.
The reasons for this included:-
- Too expensive!
- Complicated and time-consuming
to set up and configure.
- Required operator input, often
not possible from a distant location.
- Unable to handle GSM style print
- Unable to handle multiple copies
with slight differences.
The decision was made to develop the
precise solution using these guidelines:-
- Simple, user friendly document
- Able to run in the background
with no additional operator interaction.
- Able to distribute documents to
printers in several locations.
- Able to handle GSM style print
- Able to handle multiple copies
of a document with slight differences.
changes to the Global software were required in order to extract the data which was
generate the printing of the document. There were two possible solutions to this
requirement, both of which can be handled by DOCprint.
Print the report to a direct access device from where it will be picked up
by the program
RPEXT (included) and extracted to a Windows directory. The extract file
will then be identified as a 'GSM Print' type file by DOCprint which will
wrap around the specified template whilst printing each page. Fig.1 is an
example of how this is achieved.
- 2. Replace the specific document
(invoice, order etc.) print program with a new program to extract the
specific data fields to records in a comma delimited file direct to a
Windows directory. The extract file will then be identified as a 'Comma
Separated' type file by DOCprint which will import and configure each
individual field as defined by the document parameters. Fig.2 is an example of how
this is achieved.
The two methods each have their own advantages.
- Requires no extra Global programming as
extracts can be handled by the supplied programs.
- Able to use different fonts and sizes for every
- Able to control line counts.
- Able to position individual fields exactly.
Other features of DOCprint:-
- Able to combine data and text files. (Used to
print block of text such as terms of sale on either the front or back of the
- Able to print non-identical multiple copies
(e.g. customer copy & office copy) by passing the data file between documents.
- Able to maintain an archive of printed
documents for reference or reprint.
- Able to create professional and/or personal
letters using logos, photographs or images as template for simple letters
written using Notepad or Word/Wordpad (saved as rich text format).
- Two additional Global 2000 programs are
included which extract Sales Ledger customer and Purchase Ledger supplier
details for selected accounts to a specified Windows directory. These can be
used to generate mailshots, forms, questionnaires etc.
Back to Top
Back to main information page for DOCprint click here...
Download Trial Version
E-mail: N. Holmes
Back to Business Page